Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cheap Volunteer labor

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:50:07 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Now you could..could make a base for your drill press head and
column..and clamp it to the top of your gear and drill it that way.
Magnetic drills work easier though if you can borrow one.

Gunner

I just turn the head around on the column and clamp the base to the
work. I filed off the shoulder in the head that the column rests on so
I can slide it down closer to the base.

I've bored a 3" hole in steel with a hole saw in a large, slow
Milwaukee hand drill. The accuracy wasn't good enough for a bearing,
but if the pilot hole was properly located it would get you close
enough to finish the bore with a jury-rigged line boring bar in pillow
blocks.

-jsw