Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default garage door lubricant

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:04:46 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:42:33 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:18:14 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:58:13 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 22:30:45 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:51:57 -0500, amdx
wrote:

On 6/11/2015 9:21 AM, Neville M. Wiles wrote:
On 6/11/2015 7:18 AM, Dicker wrote:
What is a good lubricant for garage door rollers

jesus - could you possibly be more passive about obtaining
information?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gara...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I recently used the 3 in 1 garage door lube from Lowes.
All I can add is, my wife's comment.

"What did you do to the garage door, it's so quiet!"

All I could say is, I spent half the afternoon working on it,
but I got it quieted down, for you dear. :-)

Mikek

The non-engine lubricant business, like many other commodity
businesses, has made target-market differentiation its main
method of
marketing. The idea is to take a commodity and claim that it's
made
specifically for some special purpose. Kingsford Competition
Briquettes are one of my favorite examples. g

If they described it functionally, it would be something like
"Garden
variety lubricant suitable for low-grade bearings that wobble
around
with atrocious clearances in misaligned channels, and may have
to run
with dirt of various kinds, including cat droppings. Prevents
screeching, howling, and absolute freezing of said low-grade
bearings,
until it doesn't."

Give 'er another squirt, and see if it will spin...

Give them a little more credit than that.

the stuff is in a spray can, so they get points for ease of
application vs
the complete garbage plastic oilers that 3 in 1 comes in now.
All those
things do it drip oil everwhere but where you need it.

I botched up a screw drive garage door opener with a lube that
well, was a
bit too thick. Took a while to clean all the crap off and apply
the right
oil or lube it needed. Whoops.

What did you apply, 30-weight? g

Some years ago I had an interesting conversation with the VP of
industrial lubricants at Exxon-Mobil. I think I reported it here.
It
helped get me down to earth regarding lubricants, additives, and
special applications.

I suppose you know that all "synthetic" oils are made from
petroleum
oil.
Actually quite a bit is made from natural gas - - - And in South
Africa they made it from coal during apartheid when they were
embargoed

Are you sure they make synthetic motor oil from gas? I know it's a
common source of ethylene, but I'm not sure about what molecules
they
use to assemble Mobil 1.

I was told all "petroleum" products in South Africa in the late
sixties/early seventies came from coal and natural gas.

Natural gas and even "coal gas" can be used to syntheaize oil - but
it
is easier to use "heavier" feedstock.

Right. Chemistry is not my thing, but I'm told that ethylene is a
commodity that can come from oil or gas. Still, the people at
Exxon-Mobil told me that their synthetic products are made from
petroleum.

I suppose it doesn't matter.

--
Ed Huntress

As student chemists we learned only enough about petroleum refining
that we could understand the explanations of proprietary processes if
we found a job in that industry. The Mobil 1 MSDS shows they don't
reveal much.

In principle we can make any organic (carbon-based) chemical from pure
carbon; coal or charcoal. The methods chosen in practice depend on
economics and politics more than chemistry.
http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/keep-...d-gasoline.htm

-jsw