Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default garage door lubricant

In article , Terry Coombs
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Terry Coombs
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Surely anyone suggesting linseed as a lubricant is doing it toungue
in
cheek? Surely? :-o

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Haven't you noticed how badly misinformed a few posters here are?
And they are the most adamant that they are right and everyone else
wrong.. A little knowledge...

I've salvaged a motor that had been oiled with salad oil, which is
also unsaturated and polymerizes like linseed though not as solidly.
Old machine tools sometimes have a coating of hardened oil, maybe
lard oil?

-jsw

I switched to using olive oil to coat my wok and cast iron pans
just because the salad oil leaves a gummy mess.

What I've found to work best on cast iron pans is peanut oil. Smear
pan all over, heat up until it starts smoking, set aside. The oil
turns to varnish right away. Lard also works, but takes longer to
cure. Likewise tallow.

Joe Gwinn

I can't use peanut oil , wife is sensitive to it . Does awful things to
her digestive tract .

She'll be OK so long as she doesn't eat the pan. The oil is well cured
and does not come off.

Anyway, as Ed mentioned, canola oil also works.

Joe Gwinn