Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default garage door lubricant

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 13:30:37 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:33:46 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Terry Coombs
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

Surely anyone suggesting linseed as a lubricant is doing it toungue
in
cheek? Surely? :-o

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Haven't you noticed how badly misinformed a few posters here are? And
they are the most adamant that they are right and everyone else
wrong.. A little knowledge...

I've salvaged a motor that had been oiled with salad oil, which is
also unsaturated and polymerizes like linseed though not as solidly.
Old machine tools sometimes have a coating of hardened oil, maybe lard
oil?

-jsw

I switched to using olive oil to coat my wok and cast iron pans just
because the salad oil leaves a gummy mess.

What I've found to work best on cast iron pans is peanut oil. Smear
pan all over, heat up until it starts smoking, set aside. The oil
turns to varnish right away. Lard also works, but takes longer to
cure. Likewise tallow.

Joe Gwinn

Peanut oil is the one often recommended by chefs and cookware
manufacturers, supposedly because it has a high smoking temperature
and seals the cast-iron pores better than other oils.

I've read that too, though I was using peanut oil long before, probably
because I observed that it seemed to turn to varnish pretty quickly.

Turning this around, I've also discovered that the quickest way to
remove burned-on crud in the bottom of a pan is methylene-chloride
based paint stripper - the cured food oil is in fact varnish.

Huh. I'll have to try that. I use a 3/4" wood chisel and a 4"
angle-head grinder. d8-)

I used it 40 years ago, but I don't like the smell and switched to
other oils. I never noticed a difference in how my pans behave but
there are so many other factors involved that it's hard to tell.

Any unsaturated edible oil will do, though some cure better than
others, and the taste of the oil varies as well.

As for peanut oil, once the oil on the pan has cured, one cannot taste
the oil. Especially after frying some meat.

I have not tried it, but I bet corn oil would work. Likewise safflower
oil.

I went to olive oil first, and then settled on canola oil.

I'll bet that 20W-40 would work really well. 'Maybe even better if you
load it with graphite powder. d8-)

I bet the viscosity modifiers are tasty.

It tastes like...quinoa panzanella a la Pennzoil.

Joe Gwinn

--
Ed Huntress