Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default garage door lubricant

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 22:29:21 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 17:16:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 6:58:19 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

I suppose you know that all "synthetic" oils are made from
petroleum
oil.

--
Ed Huntress

I am not too sure about that statement. Does that include silicon
oil?

I don't know, but I doubt it. Silicone is a whole other kettle of
fish. I was speaking of motor oils.

And how about the oil for use with 410a refrigerant? And then
there is the oil with iodine in it. And the transmission oil made
with jojoba oil.

Again, I was speaking of motor oils.

--
Ed Huntress

Dan

"Made from petroleum oil" can mean that the synthetic oil is based on
chemicals originally derived from petroleum, such as ethylene and its
relatives. Plastics are also "made from petroleum".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene

Right. That was the sneaky point. d8-)

They crack it down, and then re-synthesize it to make "synthetic"
motor oil. And the result is worth it.

This comes up from time to time because I once had a boss who was
proud of the fact that she used synthetic motor oil in her Benz, thus
avoiding the use of petroleum. She was really let down when I
explained it to her.

--
Ed Huntress