Barry N. Turner

Default hollowing tools

Oops! The tool has the bent shank, not the Allen screw! Ugh! Need more
coffee...............Barry

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I think you are referring to the Sorby tool that has a sort of swiveling
pointy tip held on by a Allen screw with a bent shank. I don't like mine
much either. It works well only on very small turnings. I tend to use
mine only where I don't have the room for a better tool.

I think you might be more satisfied with Sorby's multi-tip hollowing tool.
Try it with the little half-round 3/16" cutting tool tip. I think you

will
get much better results. I consider this to be sort of an entry-level
hollowing tool. Do as much hollowing as you can with a gouge, then switch
to the hollowing tool.

As your bowls and vessels get larger and deeper, you will need to get more
sophisticated with the tools that you use. You're on the right track.
Start simple and work up, as your skills improve.

Barry

"william kossack" wrote in message
I've got one of the curved necked hollowing tools that I would describe
more as a fancy curved necked scraper by sorby that I've never been
satisfied with.

I've heard other hollowing tools mentioned from time to time but I'm not
sure if any of them are any good either.

any suggestions?