Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default garage door lubricant

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:17:01 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

And what do you do when it oxidizes and hardens? It's the basis of
real, old-fashioned oil-based paint. First it turns to something like
the gunk inside the lid of a molasses jar, and then it turns to
varnish.

REALLY? And then all that graphite would turn it into BLACK varnish?

Wow! What an amazing factoid!

face-palm action

Yup. Black paint, as any handyman over 60 ought to know.

Our oldest family home, built in 1741 in Greenland, NH, was painted
with a mixture of linseed oil and white lead for well over 100 years.
'Makes good paint.

And several of my gunstocks are coated with hand-rubbed linseed, which
dries in a month or so.

--
Ed Huntress