Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installing a ball bearing

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 21:04:46 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 29 May 2015 09:12:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I missed the fact that you're using an inside mic. I have a couple
of
that style, but rarely use them. For this sort of thing I'm more
comfortable with a telescoping gauge and outside mic, thus my
suggestion to use the bearing as a standard. It seems to me the
telescoping gauge gives a better feel than the inside mics and makes
direct comparison between the bearing and bore easier.

--
Ned Simmons

That was a learning experience!

Thanks to those who helped, especially Ned for this advice on
measuring and Gunner for a simpler way to extract the bearings than I
had planned on.

Three of the bearings press into the wheels with heavy thumb pressure,
the fourth is loose by less than 0.001".

-jsw

^ 5!!!