Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 9:1

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in
:

Coming next will be a belt
driven feed for the Z axis , for those times when I use the boring
head and need a very smooth finish .

You can waste SO much time not using good servo drives, and just
doing it 'right' the first time!

You'll regret this strategy... but it'll come late, when you realize
that the motor won't last long enough to serve you well. And then
you'll be 'stuck' with a non-standard PWM system that both doesn't
deliver AND will make you replace it.

Lloyd

Ah , but I will have the pleasure of having done it myself . Lloyd , this
ain't a production shop , and probably 90% of the time I'm going to be
cranking those handles manually . This is for those times that I need some
measure of uniformity .
And the Z will probably be done using one of the stepper motors I have .
They're not powerful enough for the X or Y , but should work OK for the Z -
especially with 2:1 or 3:1 pulley ratios .
--
Snag
Photos are posted at