Henry St.Pierre

Default New PM3520A, 2 questions.....

Owen Lowe wrote in newsnlnlowe-
:

In article ,
(Ron E.) wrote:

Question 1: Talked to a PM tech who said my 20 amp service isn't
enough. Have to have minimum 25 amp, preferably 30 amp. Told him
that my 3hp tablesaw ran fine on this sevice, and he indicated I was
lucky I hadn't burned out the motor. An electrician friend says 20
amp is plenty. What do you say?

Ron,
The PM tech may know PM lathes, but he doesn't understand electricity that
well. Motors may burn out on a circuit that can supply too much current if
the motor has a problem (bind, super catch, etc.) before it trips the
breaker (blows a fuse). A motor will not burn out (or start) on a protected
circuit that is rated too low for the motor (the breaker trips). 20 A is
fine for your lathe.
Regards,
Hank