Owen Lowe

Default New PM3520A, 2 questions.....

In article ,
(Ron E.) wrote:

Question 1: Talked to a PM tech who said my 20 amp service isn't
enough. Have to have minimum 25 amp, preferably 30 amp. Told him
that my 3hp tablesaw ran fine on this sevice, and he indicated I was
lucky I hadn't burned out the motor. An electrician friend says 20
amp is plenty. What do you say?

According to the electrical guide, "Wiring Simplified", which is a
comprehensive overview of residential wiring requirements, guidelines
and methods, your 2 hp, 240V motor should pull about 12 amps. That means
a 20 amp, 240V circuit using 12 gage running 70 feet total should be
just fine.

When I wired my 240V circuit, I used 10 gage wire with a 30 amp breaker
running less than 75 feet. Remember the breaker is there to only protect
the wiring and not the appliance - in other words, size the breaker to
the wire gage and length and not what's plugged into it. I chose to go
larger than needed for my 3hp Unisaw so that I could also plug in my
dust collector if I ever choose to convert that to 240V or a larger
planer or jointer if my ship ever comes in.

(Also, the extra cost to go with 10 gage and a 30amp breaker was minimal
when compared with needing to upgrade or add a second circuit if using
12 gage and a 20 amp breaker.)