Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pioneer Pro DJ unit ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Phil Allison"

** The owner has actually noticed and complained about this or you just
picked it up while testing ?

This is the main complaint it turned up for - "output from XLR balanced
sockets poor and distorted, phonos ok" . The owner is in some way
'connected' to the dealer that it has come to me from, and I've been told
that it is a "cash job", so probably, the item has been borrowed and
damaged, or someone else has 'had a go' at another problem, and done this
damage. There seems to be a bit of an 'air of secrecy' about it, so I doubt
that I'm ever going to be told the truth.

** You have clear evidence of damage, likely a speaker cable was plugged into each of the XLRs. I have seen a couple of examples where the same error did extensive damage to a Pioneer DJ mixer and one where a Mackie 1604 desk became a complete write off after a Marshall 100W valve head was plugged directly into a line input. That desk was on loan at the time too.

FYI: Many "balanced" XLR outputs only drive one line while the other has a
resistor to ground ( impedance balanced ) OR is actually in input that
acts to cancel ground loop hum - aka "ground cancelling" used by many
Soundcraft desks.

I've seen this sort of thing going on, but in this case, it does appear to
be a proper balanced output with both legs being driven - allbeit with one
being via this whatever-it-is surface mount blob.

** Odd that it's only one of them - bit like locking the front door at night but leaving the back one open. IMO, the "blob" is most likely a fusible resistor of about 100 ohms.

BTW: I only mentioned the single driven line type of balanced output to explain my question about the owner noticing the difference.

..... Phil