Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mroberds@att.net is offline

Default Any idea how to jury rig a dirty water pump to drain the last 3 inches?

In sci.electronics.repair Danny D. wrote:
But, pumping at 50 gallons per minute, I have to constantly run to the
GCFI and pull the plug to shut it off before the garbage can runs dry:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7642/1...c37715ab_c.jpg

I think I'd plug a power strip with switch into the long cord from the
house, and then a short (like, 12') extension cord into the power strip,
and then the pump into the short extension cord. This gives you a local
switch so you don't have to run around. Yes, plugging extension cords
into power strips into extension cords is against code.

But, I'd like to see if I can jury rig *something* (a rubber hose
perhaps?) to go on the *underside* unthreaded inlet of the pump:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5443/1...ed88636b_z.jpg

First idea: Use a big hole saw to cut a round hole in the foot plate of
that pump, concentric with the inlet. Then use something like a piece
of radiator hose through the hole you just made and onto the inlet,
secured with RTV maybe. Or, get a fitting with a long length of
external thread and a big nut to fit that thread. Put the nut between
the foot plate and the inlet, stick the fitting through the hole you
cut, then thread the nut onto the fitting. Push the fitting up against
the inlet and thread the nut down, so the nut forces the fitting up
against the inlet. Then hook whatever hose you want to the free end
of the fitting.

Second idea: Drill out the spot welds? that hold the "legs" onto the
foot plate. Then you have a straight shot at the inlet. You might be
able to get a giant rubber sewer pipe fitting (the thing that's a
length of rubber and two worm gear clamps) over the whole OD of the
motor housing, and then step down to a reasonable diameter with PVC
from there. Replace the foot plate with small stainless steel screws
and locknuts later.

Matt Roberds