Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pioneer Pro Amp With No Model Number, Anyone Ever See One OfThese ?

"https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=pioneer+amplifier

My guess(tm) is that it's either a counterfeit, or someone just stuck
the Pioneer name on some other device in order to enhance its resale
value. "

I had serious doubts about it being a Pioneer and I appreciate the confirmation. As far as enhancing its value, it has probably more power than most Pioneers. (I just looked and now they are into class D3 at alot more power, but this thing is not new)

I doubt a company would just stick the nameplates on there, it may have been a seller. I will have to query this guy to find out where he got it but I wouldn't count on that going too far. It was in his stash. He owns a bar and his soundguy walked off and took his toys so this dude is hooking up his own toys. He already has two 1,300 watt QSCs which do sound damn good. I hooked them up and phased the speakers.

But now he has this other amp and more speakers because the hairs in the kids' cochleas have been shaved off a bit. So they need more. Actually they are into bass bigtime and bass is not so bad for the ears.

But anyway, the thing doesn't seem to have any shorted outputs, it is not even in protection.

I might just have to do it the old fashioned way. Problemm is, I am not breaking the seal between those heatsinks and transistors.

Hm, on a side note, I get involved with the hifi crowd from time to time and I found out that some of them in restoring an old piece, actually take the outputs out and clean it all down and put new vird**** (heatsink cmpound) on them. I think this is crazy. It is settled in real nice. the thermal contact is probably the best it'l ever be and better then it'll ever need to be. What's more if you have mica insulators and stress them wrong they delineate. And I bet they do not check for that. I have mentioned it but got no answers back. I guess you could do that if you want it to look nice, but use new insulators then if you want to have a boat in your livingroom. (boat = hole in water to throw money in)

And I bet they spread it too, instad of putting it evenly at the main force to squeeze it out so there are no air pockets. I told a coworker that 1,000 times and he wouldn't listen. I tried and tried, it makes sense dude, WTF is wrong with you ? Nothing. Ignorance and I bet willful. My old source of this bad information is better than what you say about it that actually makes sense - even though my credentials are better.

****ing people amaze me. Gotta watch Dr. Hoo. Or wait, not Dr., Inspector or something. It is an ep of Get Smart, which is one of the best of all time BTW. I got a bunch of them. At least after watching them I might be able to put a little insanity into the insanity and enjoy it a bit.

Sorry for the rant. But then, it's Friday.