AHilton

Default Jacobs Chuck on Jet Mini Lathe

I just posted a picture on ABPW of one type (the most common found on
todays' lathes) of tailstock design with the self-ejection feature. I'm
just using the common bored-through live center design in these pictures.
If needed, I can easily put a Jacobs' Chuck in there or anything else to
show what's going on. Also, I can do a drawing of some other tailstock
designs (that have the self-eject feature of course) to compare and
contrast.

The more I think about George's statement of "You probably have noticed, at
least once, that the self-ejecting feature is an extension beyond the ~ 3/8
diameter portion of the #2 taper." the more he's describing a completely
different tailstock design. And this statement of his ... "Nope. Think
about it. If they're designed to be able to bore through them, they'll lack
the self-ejector" really suggests that he's just thinking of that one kind
of tailstock self-ejection feature design. He's expecting that "tang" to be
there on the end of the male morse taper to hit the center-hitting device in
the tailstock to knock it out. In my mind at least, he's confusing that
tang as the self-ejection feature in wood lathes.

Hopefully, George will respond in order to clarify what he said and answer
my questions. I hate to assume but without a response, I am forced to until
then.

Anyway, if anybody has a problem with viewing or understanding the picture,
let me know. Also, like I said above, if there's some clarification needed
on other tailstock designs and/or different centers (jacobs chuck, etc.) let
me know and I'll whip up some pictures.

I have had to get some woodturning video editing done this weekend and
earlier this week so I was delayed in getting the picture done and posted.
Sorry about that.

- Andrew

self-eject. Can you provide a picture or drawing of the exact mechanism?
I'll do the same of at least one version of self-ejector tailstock

mechanism
that I've worked with on wood lathes and post it on abpw. Then we can
compare.