Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 66 block question

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015 21:48:09 -0800, DaveC wrote:

Notice that all the Type 66 blocks are made for 4 terminals. Phone lines on
the left, instrument lines on the right.

Jeff, what do you mean by "instrument lines"?

At least I didn't call it a "blower", "POTS box", "horn", or
"farspeaker". I could have called the closet and wiring "inside
plant".

In my checkered past, telephones were called "instruments". Mote the
article titles:
http://www.telephonymuseum.com/telephones.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone#Early_commercial_instruments
I guess I'm showing my age.

Drivel: The differences between telco lingo and the rest of the world
was intentional. In the 1950's, Ma Bell was trying to avoid
dismemberment because they were becoming a "vertical monopoly" which
controlled everything from components (Western Electric) to end user
service. In order to prevent this from happening, Ma Bell had to have
one part of their vertical monopoly missing and provided by outside
vendors. They chose computers, which were originally considered to be
unimportant to telephone service. Big mistake as the previous
mechanical switches slowly became computerized starting in the late
1960's starting with 1ESS. Ma Bell was forced to camouflage these
computers, which resulted in odd names intended to be very different
from what was in use in the computer industry. A computer became a
"switch" or "billing machine" and so on. This also inspired the
difference in layout of a calculator keyboard, and a telphone keypad.
This is pure conjecture and probably wrong, but interesting:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question641.htm

Half a century later, I'm still recovering from all this.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D