Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 66 block question

I have designed, built and tested a telephone/intercom circuit for 4
buildings, and got everything to work.

http://www.stonetabernacle.com/compound_circuit.html

Next I have to connect 4 cables (6 pairs of wire per cable) in the shop
(central location) and hook in the other buildings (house, barn and machine
shop)

I just don't understand how the clips on a 66 block are connected to each
other. Are the rows connected?
Are the rows split? Are the columns connected? Are the columns split?

I ordered one to see but it hasn't arrived yet. I also got some bridge
connectors for the 66 block. This isn't a major loss if it won't work, but
I can't see if it will or won't.

All 4 of the Blues have to be connected together
All 4 of the White-blues
All 4 of the Oranges
All 4 of the White-oranges
All 4 of the Greens
All 4 of the White-greens
All 4 of the Browns
All 4 of the White-browns
All 4 of the Slates
All 4 of the White-slates
All 4 of the Reds
All 4 of the Blue-reds

(All 4 of the cables enclosing 6 pairs of wire each must be connected this
way in the shop location)

Moreover,

All 2 of the Blues have to be connected together
All 2 of the White-blues
All 2 of the Oranges
All 2 of the White-oranges
All 2 of the Greens
All 2 of the White-greens
All 4 of the Browns
All 2 of the White-browns
All 2 of the Slates
All 2 of the White-slates
All 2 of the Reds
All 2 of the Blue-reds

..... in each the House, Barn and Machine Shop.

So far I've used about 100 3-wire buttconnectors to get to this point.

Can someone please help? I tried to Google the answer but nothing is on
there about how a 66 block is wired. Do I need something like this? :

http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/...cks/SE-66B1-12

Regards, Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

humbled valiant wrote:
I just don't understand how the clips on a 66 block are connected to
each other. Are the rows connected?
Are the rows split? Are the columns connected? Are the columns split?

On all the ones I've ever seen or used:

None of the rows are ever connected to another row.

Sometimes all the columns in one row are connected to each other, and
nothing else.

Sometimes half of the columns in one row are connected to each other
(and nothing else), and the other half of the columns in that row are
connected to each other (and nothing else). This is often called a
"split" block. Applying a bridge connector across the middle two
columns in a split block turns it into an un-split block.

There are probably some obscure variants lurking in Bell System
documents from 1972, but I think pretty much everything you buy new
today will be one of the above two.

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 4:55:43 PM UTC-5, humbled valiant wrote:
[...]

I have an old analog phone system in my house. All the stations are wired in parallel to 66 blocks. I use 2 of these punch down blocks in a metal can. The blocks are individually labelled 66B4-25. These vertically mounted blocks have 50 horizontal rows of punch down terminals arranged 6 terminals to a row. Each of the 50 horizontal rows of 6 are all individually connected together. Don't use bridging clips. This sounds like what you want.
Here is a partial picture. Lenny

https://www.google.com/search?q=66+b...%3B2816%3B1877
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 16:55:38 -0500, "humbled valiant"
wrote:

I have designed, built and tested a telephone/intercom circuit for 4
buildings, and got everything to work.

http://www.stonetabernacle.com/compound_circuit.html

Next I have to connect 4 cables (6 pairs of wire per cable) in the shop
(central location) and hook in the other buildings (house, barn and machine
shop)

I just don't understand how the clips on a 66 block are connected to each
other. Are the rows connected?
Are the rows split? Are the columns connected? Are the columns split?

There are several different type of Type 66 blocks.
- 4 terminals across, all connected together.
- 6 terminals acorss, all connected together.
- 4 terminals across, split in the middle. (most common type)
- 6 terminals across, split in the middle.
- 4 terminals across, with one terminal monopolized by a 25 pair
connector.
https://www.google.com/search?q=type+66+block&tbm=isch
You need bridging clips for the type that's split in the middle.

I ordered one to see but it hasn't arrived yet. I also got some bridge
connectors for the 66 block. This isn't a major loss if it won't work, but
I can't see if it will or won't.

Ordered? I get them from the scrap yards. Todays phone systems use
Type 110 blocks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=type+110+block&tbm=isch

All 4 of the Blues have to be connected together
All 4 of the White-blues

(...)
(All 4 of the cables enclosing 6 pairs of wire each must be connected this
way in the shop location)

It's one wire per terminal. With a 6 connector block, you have one
wire in, and one wire out, leaving you 4 positions for additional
wires. Translation... you'll need the 6 position flavor without the
split in the middle. Although you can put a bridging clip over the
middle terminals with wires attached, I wouldn't because of the risk
of cutting the wire. The clips can have sharp edges.

There are tricks to turn the 66/110 blocks into a bus arrangmenet:
http://www.homephonewiring.com/blocks.html

Oh yeah, get a 66/110 punchdown tool.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/110-punch-down-tool
Actually, get two as someone is always borrowing mine.

All 2 of the Blues have to be connected together

(...)
.... in each the House, Barn and Machine Shop.

If you run out of terminals, you can expand the number of available
terminals by placing a second Type 66 block next to the first block,
and running jumper wires between them. This is a PITA but is much
better than trying to cram two or more wires onto a single terminal,
which works, for a while, until it becomes loose.

So far I've used about 100 3-wire buttconnectors to get to this point.

Ugh. That works, but is really ugly and messy.

Drivel: This is a phone room before I cleaned out the wiring:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Phone%20Room%20Before.html
and after:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Phone%20Room%20After.html
Notice that all the Type 66 blocks are made for 4 terminals. Phone
lines on the left, instrument lines on the right.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015 21:48:09 -0800, DaveC wrote:

Notice that all the Type 66 blocks are made for 4 terminals. Phone lines on
the left, instrument lines on the right.

Jeff, what do you mean by "instrument lines"?

At least I didn't call it a "blower", "POTS box", "horn", or
"farspeaker". I could have called the closet and wiring "inside
plant".

In my checkered past, telephones were called "instruments". Mote the
article titles:
http://www.telephonymuseum.com/telephones.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone#Early_commercial_instruments
I guess I'm showing my age.

Drivel: The differences between telco lingo and the rest of the world
was intentional. In the 1950's, Ma Bell was trying to avoid
dismemberment because they were becoming a "vertical monopoly" which
controlled everything from components (Western Electric) to end user
service. In order to prevent this from happening, Ma Bell had to have
one part of their vertical monopoly missing and provided by outside
vendors. They chose computers, which were originally considered to be
unimportant to telephone service. Big mistake as the previous
mechanical switches slowly became computerized starting in the late
1960's starting with 1ESS. Ma Bell was forced to camouflage these
computers, which resulted in odd names intended to be very different
from what was in use in the computer industry. A computer became a
"switch" or "billing machine" and so on. This also inspired the
difference in layout of a calculator keyboard, and a telphone keypad.
This is pure conjecture and probably wrong, but interesting:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question641.htm

Half a century later, I'm still recovering from all this.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Notice that all the Type 66 blocks are made for 4 terminals. Phone lines on
the left, instrument lines on the right.

Jeff, what do you mean by "instrument lines"?

Curiously,
Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

At least I didn't call it a "blower", "POTS box", "horn", or "farspeaker". I

could have called the closet and wiring "inside plant".

In my checkered past, telephones were called "instruments". Mote the article

titles: http://www.telephonymuseum.com/telephones.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone#Early_commercial_instruments I guess

I'm showing my age.

Ah, "stations", "sets"!

And 50 years hence, yet different nomenclature...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

humbled valiant wrote:
I have designed, built and tested a telephone/intercom circuit for 4
buildings, and got everything to work.

http://www.stonetabernacle.com/compound_circuit.html

Next I have to connect 4 cables (6 pairs of wire per cable) in the shop
(central location) and hook in the other buildings (house, barn and machine
shop)

I just don't understand how the clips on a 66 block are connected to each
other. Are the rows connected?
Are the rows split? Are the columns connected? Are the columns split?

A standard 66 M block has 50 rows of 4 columns making for a total of 200 connectors. They do have
ones with 6 terminals across, all connected, but that's less common outside of ancient phone
systems. I've not seen one in years that was still in use.

Electrically, there are only two columns. The left and right side of the block are split. If you
wiggle the outermost connector on any row you'll see it's the same piece of metal as the one
directly next to it.

There are two ways to use a 66 block.

1) use it as a way to connect upto 50 pairs (100 conductors) together. The very left and very right
terminals are for either the inside or ouside of the wiring and the inner connector are for the
opposite side of the wiring. There are no connections across the block.

2) use it as way to connect 25 pairs for 50 conductors, across the entire block. To connect the gap
"bridge clips" are used. You'd usually only use the outer terminals in this configuration. This is
the more serious way to wire things up.

In your case, if you want to connect 4 or more lines together you'd weave a common conductor in and
out of, or across multiple points on the block, the connect into that. That's why 66 termination
tools have a cutting side and a non-cutting blade. Never double connect any one connector either.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My 66M block arrived and I discovered clip 1 = clip 2 | clip 3 = clip 4 of
row 1, where "=" means electrically connected and "|" means electrically
isolated, on row 1. Similarly, row 1 | row 2 | row 3, . . . | row 50. That
means that on row 1, column 1 = column 2 | column 3 = column.

My $15 punch down tool arrived but the 66 blade only punches down and cuts.
I can do all the cutting, grind the blade off and do all of the weaving.

Since I only need to join 2 cables at 6 pairs to 6 pairs in each of 3
locations, I only need 36 rows, I can use my bandsaw and cut 12 rows each,
leaving the last 14 rows to join 4 cables at 6 pairs each using bridge
clips.

It doesn't look like I need to strip the wires on this block, since the
clips taper down towards the foot.

Any comments?

Thank all of you for your input.

Regards, Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:44:22 -0400, "humbled valiant"
wrote:

My $15 punch down tool arrived but the 66 blade only punches down and cuts.
I can do all the cutting, grind the blade off and do all of the weaving.

Nope. Remove the blade from the tool. The other end should be there
without the cutting edge. It's like this:
http://www.allwaytech.com/catalog/images/large/28-0427-HT-14T.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

humbled valiant wrote:
My 66M block arrived and I discovered clip 1 = clip 2 | clip 3 = clip 4 of
row 1, where "=" means electrically connected and "|" means electrically
isolated, on row 1. Similarly, row 1 | row 2 | row 3, . . . | row 50. That
means that on row 1, column 1 = column 2 | column 3 = column.

yup, the standard M or split M block.

My $15 punch down tool arrived but the 66 blade only punches down and cuts.
I can do all the cutting, grind the blade off and do all of the weaving.

Any chance the blade flips over for the non-cutting side? Now that you can see the profile of the
tool you may be able to fake with it with something else for the the uncut connections. The impact
feature (if your tool has it) isn't needed except for cutting the wires. Maybe wrap the busines end
with cut up pop can to hide the cutting part so you don't need to grind the tool.

Since I only need to join 2 cables at 6 pairs to 6 pairs in each of 3
locations, I only need 36 rows, I can use my bandsaw and cut 12 rows each,
leaving the last 14 rows to join 4 cables at 6 pairs each using bridge
clips.

It doesn't look like I need to strip the wires on this block, since the
clips taper down towards the foot.

correct. never strip the wire first, but you should be using the proper guage solid wire for these
blocks. They're quite tolerant, take a range of wire and are quite reliable like everything the old
AT&T came up with.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
humbled valiant wrote:
[...]

Each row of 4 clips are electrically connected. I found them at
http://www.sandman.com/
(non-split 66M block)