Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 66 block question

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 16:55:38 -0500, "humbled valiant"
wrote:

I have designed, built and tested a telephone/intercom circuit for 4
buildings, and got everything to work.

http://www.stonetabernacle.com/compound_circuit.html

Next I have to connect 4 cables (6 pairs of wire per cable) in the shop
(central location) and hook in the other buildings (house, barn and machine
shop)

I just don't understand how the clips on a 66 block are connected to each
other. Are the rows connected?
Are the rows split? Are the columns connected? Are the columns split?

There are several different type of Type 66 blocks.
- 4 terminals across, all connected together.
- 6 terminals acorss, all connected together.
- 4 terminals across, split in the middle. (most common type)
- 6 terminals across, split in the middle.
- 4 terminals across, with one terminal monopolized by a 25 pair
connector.
https://www.google.com/search?q=type+66+block&tbm=isch
You need bridging clips for the type that's split in the middle.

I ordered one to see but it hasn't arrived yet. I also got some bridge
connectors for the 66 block. This isn't a major loss if it won't work, but
I can't see if it will or won't.

Ordered? I get them from the scrap yards. Todays phone systems use
Type 110 blocks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=type+110+block&tbm=isch

All 4 of the Blues have to be connected together
All 4 of the White-blues

(...)
(All 4 of the cables enclosing 6 pairs of wire each must be connected this
way in the shop location)

It's one wire per terminal. With a 6 connector block, you have one
wire in, and one wire out, leaving you 4 positions for additional
wires. Translation... you'll need the 6 position flavor without the
split in the middle. Although you can put a bridging clip over the
middle terminals with wires attached, I wouldn't because of the risk
of cutting the wire. The clips can have sharp edges.

There are tricks to turn the 66/110 blocks into a bus arrangmenet:
http://www.homephonewiring.com/blocks.html

Oh yeah, get a 66/110 punchdown tool.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/110-punch-down-tool
Actually, get two as someone is always borrowing mine.

All 2 of the Blues have to be connected together

(...)
.... in each the House, Barn and Machine Shop.

If you run out of terminals, you can expand the number of available
terminals by placing a second Type 66 block next to the first block,
and running jumper wires between them. This is a PITA but is much
better than trying to cram two or more wires onto a single terminal,
which works, for a while, until it becomes loose.

So far I've used about 100 3-wire buttconnectors to get to this point.

Ugh. That works, but is really ugly and messy.

Drivel: This is a phone room before I cleaned out the wiring:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Phone%20Room%20Before.html
and after:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Phone%20Room%20After.html
Notice that all the Type 66 blocks are made for 4 terminals. Phone
lines on the left, instrument lines on the right.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D