Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia[_2_] Allodoxaphobia[_2_] is offline

Default Generic name for old bimetal strip "regulator" ?

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:44:39 -0500, Mike wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 14:07:58 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other fairly current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

What were their purpose in dashboards?

I dunno if they "... seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s...".
That seems a little late.

Back in the olden days (the 1950's and before) many auto manufacturers
built cars with 6V batteries. As the 12V rigs became more prevalent, it
was easier to make existing, well proven "technology" believe that it
was running on 6V -- fuel gauges for instance. In my old '67 Jeep (that
I still have) I can actually see the fuel gauge pulse a little --
somewhat more than 1 times per second, IIRC. Too, I believe the
ignition coil (and other steady-current-required devices) in those
'change-over' systems were fed by big, fat dropping resistors.

Over time "they" developed automotive components for the 12V systems
that were reliable in that somewhat harsh environment.

I wonder when, and what large manufacturer used the last bi-metal
regulator? (Other than the Trabant or Yugo...?)

Jonesy