Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Generic name for old bimetal strip "regulator" ?

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 14:07:58 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

When used in electric cookers to vary the heating I think they were called
"simmerstats" but I don't know if generic or proprietary...

What were their purpose in dashboards?

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:44:39 -0500, Mike wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 14:07:58 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other fairly current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

What were their purpose in dashboards?

I dunno if they "... seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s...".
That seems a little late.

Back in the olden days (the 1950's and before) many auto manufacturers
built cars with 6V batteries. As the 12V rigs became more prevalent, it
was easier to make existing, well proven "technology" believe that it
was running on 6V -- fuel gauges for instance. In my old '67 Jeep (that
I still have) I can actually see the fuel gauge pulse a little --
somewhat more than 1 times per second, IIRC. Too, I believe the
ignition coil (and other steady-current-required devices) in those
'change-over' systems were fed by big, fat dropping resistors.

Over time "they" developed automotive components for the 12V systems
that were reliable in that somewhat harsh environment.

I wonder when, and what large manufacturer used the last bi-metal
regulator? (Other than the Trabant or Yugo...?)

Jonesy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 08/03/2015 16:05, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
[...]

Chrysler / Talbot Horizon registered 1981 that I owned, used at least
one, confused me seing the term regulator in the manual expecting
something electronical.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

Sometimes incorrectly known as a voltage regulator (particularly
suitable for stabilising the supply to hot-wire petrol guages which had
a thermal lag that avereged out the make-and-break of the regulator).

They were also called "energy regulators" when used with hotplates and
the like. This was an accurate description, because it was the energy
that was measured and stabilised by the bimetal strip, not the voltage.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 10:07:59 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

The last time I saw one of these in automobile use was in cars in the 60s (U.S.). They were called IVRs (instrument voltage regulators) when used for the gauges and plain old voltage regulator when used in conjunction with an alternator. Shortly afterwards, both were replaced with transistorized (or SCRs) electronic regulators.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

Ah, the Bimetallic Question.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 3:30:43 PM UTC-4, Michael Black wrote:
On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

Ah, the Bimetallic Question.

Michael

Is that similar to the heat anticipator in a thermostat?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/8/2015 7:07 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

My first car, a 1950 Mercury Coupe, had one in the headlight circuit.
When a wire to the lights shorted, the strip would open momentarily and
then close again for a bit. That gave me enough light to get safely off
the road.

Paul
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 14:07:58 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

Car companies use their own language.

Japanese car companies use another language still.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to
a heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and
out some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for
the load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the
1980s and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

Ah, the Bimetallic Question.

Michael

Is that similar to the heat anticipator in a thermostat?

My erstwhile building services engineer girlfriend called that device an
accelerator. Even more confusing wrt automobile usage!

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nutcase Kook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load.

** Electric stoves use "simmerstats" where the bi-metal device is indirectly heated and cycles on and off to control the average power.

Electric room heaters have "thermostats", that sense room temperature and control the load in relation to it and the setting.

They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

** Cars do not have electric heaters, but use hot water from the engine and a thermostatic valve plus fan to warm the interior.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 14:07:58 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to a
heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

Car companies use their own language.

Japanese car companies use another language still.

Fuse-boxes used mostly fuses but a few self-resetting circuit breakers
in the '95 Chrysler and earlier. These may have used bimetal strips.

Automatic air-conditioning, far more trouble than it's worth, may use
bimetal strips for thermostats.

The thermostat for electric radiator fans may be bimetal.

OTOH, cooling system thermostats, that sit in the water stream just
before the water goes to the radiator, use aiui some sort of pellets
that expand and contract, closign and opening the thermostat. I've
never cut one open.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Its one of these I'm wrestling with
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WPL-...item27f5fdf266
The spindle for turning to change the setting, seemingly now temperature
and not current.
Thermos as in themos flask?
I decided it was not working and after taking it a apart and checking
its action it seems ok. I suspect someone removed a thermal bridge to
the metal plate, and it should be functioning as a thermostat proper,
feeding back a fraction of the heat. With a magnifier there is a trace
of where a couple of screws were in place.
So surface unit ? to add to the growing list of non-generic names for them
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 8:39:44 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:

They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

** Cars do not have electric heaters, but use hot water from the engine and a thermostatic valve plus fan to warm the interior.

.... Phil

It's true that cars did not use these devices as thermostats, but they did as mechanical voltage regulators, although it was much earlier than the 1980s. Here is a link to the instrument voltage regulator used in my 66 Mustang:

http://www.cal-mustang.com/INSTRUMEN...4762C1142.aspx

These open and close several times per second to provide an average of 5-6 volts to the gas, temperature and oil pressure gauges. The ammeter is of course self powered. A variation of these is used as a self resetting circuit breaker built into the headlight switch. Most people these days remove the guts from the IVR and replace it with a 7805 IC.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:44:39 -0500, Mike wrote:

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 14:07:58 +0000, N_Cook wrote:

Where self heating of current through the metal of a bimetal strip to
a heater or some other faily current hungry device, switches in and out
some contacts and so gives some sort of an indirect regulator for the
load. They were still to be seen in the dashboards of cars in the 1980s
and just termed regulators in the car repair manuals.

When used in electric cookers to vary the heating I think they were
called "simmerstats" but I don't know if generic or proprietary...

What were their purpose in dashboards?

I've remembered a possible use. Before electronics-everywhere, the
flashing turn indicators used to use a small bi-metal strip + heater to
flash the power. The heater was in series with the current to the bulbs,
so the changed flashing rate showed that a bulb had blown. The device was
put under the dashboard so the clicking was audible to the driver as a
reminder to cancel the indicator.

But that would not have been described as a "regulator"...

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~...tabilizer.html