Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tenyen@gmail.com is offline

Default reflowing best practice?

Heya,

On Monday, 9 February 2015 00:58:50 UTC, mike wrote:
On 2/8/2015 3:21 PM, tenye wrote:
there's also reflow'ing; "we" see a few laptops (particularly with nvidia chipsets) where this might be an issue.

Got any more precise tips in that area?

me? unfortunately not. anyone else? from my limited research
(I have one candidate dell laptop which I've probably procrastinated
over too long) its a quite unscientific process: mask off the surrounding
area as best you can and wave the heated sacrifical chicken around a bit
. . . .

Temperatures and times and ramp rates etc.
What's a good air temperature to use?
Lots of youtube videos, but not any detail on the numbers
involved.

quite! I'd like to hear of anyones experiences, especially
if the figures are backed up by e.g. spot IR thermometer readings
compared to the settings on the heat source? also anything
you did to mitigate it happening again (have you seen the comprehensive
x-box shim, heatsink and paste kits you can get?)

I built a fixture with a heat gun pointed at the bottom
and another one on top. Managed to fix two of the three I tried.
But it would be nice to have a better idea on optimum strategy.
I have thermocouples on top and bottom, but Have not figured out
how to couple the thermocouple to the chip. Any stress will cause
the chip to move when the solder melts...not good.

blimey, hadn't though of this. pics?. but I'm guessing unless your doing
a commercial repair, reflowing is a kind of last ditch effort, so just
doing an edge (and only one side) at a time (instead of relying on the chip casing and PCH distributing the heat to all "pins" at once?) and crossing fingers is what most people rely on.

apologies for the pure conjecture . . .

--
http://tenyen.net/