Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default radios hum

On 2/18/2015 8:57 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:29:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 6:36:28 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

Look at the power supply. Maybe old caps or something.

Hum is actually vibration. If there is a "14 AWG" or "12 AWG" wire behind the wall socket powering your radio, then you should change it to a "10 AWG" white colored wire.

A bigger wire can stop vibration easier for small electronics.

Is this more of your voodoo electronics?
I don't think your joking with your reply.
After trying to educate you on a simple concept and failing,
( I think I failed, never was sure you weren't pulling my leg the whole
time)

Mikek

---