Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default radios hum

I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 6:36:28 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

Look at the power supply. Maybe old caps or something.

George H.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:29:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 6:36:28 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

Look at the power supply. Maybe old caps or something.

Hum is actually vibration. If there is a "14 AWG" or "12 AWG" wire behind the wall socket powering your radio, then you should change it to a "10 AWG" white colored wire.

A bigger wire can stop vibration easier for small electronics.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 04:36:27 -0700, micky wrote:

I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

does location matter? Does hum last indefinitely, or just the time for all
the caps to power down?

Do you have an LED light bulb, or CFI light bulb on the same circuit?
Their 30KHz ballast likes to 'blast' back up into other stuff, or radiate,
too.

Do you have a strong cell tower/spread spectrum communication tower
nearby? Or, power lines overhead?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/18/2015 8:10 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

Does the hum go away when you unplug the radio from the wall outlet?

Any large transformers nearby if it still hums when unplugged and any
batteries removed? Induced AC...

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:45:31 -0500, Smarty wrote:

Most of these older radios hum when trying to play modern music.
They hum because they don't know the words to the songs.

heh...

s/know/understand/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

One possibility is that these radios have some sort of
interference-suppression or anti-kickback ("anti-pop") capacitor
bridged across the on/off switch. This capacitor would allow a small
amount of current to flow "around" the switch contacts when the switch
is "off". If the cap is becoming "leaky" with age there might be
enough current flowing to partially power up the radio even with the
switch in the "off" position.

Another possibility is that it's mechanical hum rather than
electrical. If the on/off switch is in the secondary (low-voltage)
part of the power supply circuit, then there would be mains voltage
present on the primary transformer windings at all times. The
transformer could then be humming a bit, from magnetostriction, and
the speaker cone could convert this mechanical vibration to audible
noise. [This wouldn't account for your saying that adding a switch in
the speaker wiring got rid of the hum, though.]

Do these radios have any sort of clock or light or ??? which would
need power at all times, even when the radio is turned off?

Model number(s)?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

A number of these radios will have 60 Hz (mains-powered) transformers
that are always on. The power switch switches low-voltage (either AC
or DC) power to turn the radio on or off. probably there is magnetic
leakage from the transformer that is getting into the speaker or wiring
somehow. If the audio output stage has an audio transformer to drive
the speaker, the power transformer might be coupling magnetically
to the audio output transformer. Possibly, altering the way the
power transformer is mounted might reduce this coupling.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:28:07 -0800, Dave Platt wrote:

Do these radios have any sort of clock or light or ??? which would
need power at all times, even when the radio is turned off?

Or do they use remote control for volume, tune, etc.
If so,they are always "on" (somewhat) -- even when they are off.

Model number(s)?

Yes, please!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 9:18:01 PM UTC-5, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:28:07 -0800, Dave Platt wrote:

Do these radios have any sort of clock or light or ??? which would
need power at all times, even when the radio is turned off?

Or do they use remote control for volume, tune, etc.
If so,they are always "on" (somewhat) -- even when they are off.

Model number(s)?

Yes, please!

No. This is too cavemanish. Junk the 70's transistor radios and get radio service and large speakers through a touch screen phone provider.

(Why keep going back further and further into time)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:15:21 -0800, mogulah wrote:

(Why keep going back further and further into time)

I take it you are not getting older?

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 6:36:28 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

some of us appreciate time travel. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/18/2015 5:36 AM, micky wrote:
I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum. In
one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

Do your lights also, put out just a little bit of light when you turn
them off?
Mikek

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 12:50:32 PM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
On 2/18/2015 5:36 AM, micky wrote:
I have several simple table radios, all transistor, made between the
70's and 80's, and 2 or 3 of them hum, even when they are turned off.
The humming is coming out of the speaker. How can that be?

In each case, the on/off switch must be working, because when I turn it
on, a radio program comes out. When I t turn it off, only the hum.
In one case, I put a separate switch on the wire to the speaker, and now
the radio makes no noise when it's off.

Do your lights also, put out just a little bit of light when
you turn them off?

Hey Mr. Professor, why dont cha go over there, get a stun gun, fire it at the light bulb and find out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/18/2015 2:43 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
micky wrote:

[...]

That's probably the best answer, although in the 70s, I'm not sure how
many radios were always on. That throws in a little wrinkle.
"A number of these radios will have 60 Hz (mains-powered) transformers
that are always on."

Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

There is no "best answer". Humming could be caused by having too small of a path back (hence: my two answers as a solution). Humming could also be caused by something else running whether connected to your service or not.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

Ok, please expound on how a small path back, ( I have to assume you
mean a small gauge wire) will cause hum.
You might also define why the color is important.

Humming could also be caused by something else running whether
connected to your service or not.

Well that would depend on the definition of hum. I would think a common
definition is a 120hz frequency emanating from the speaker often power
supply related.. Although 60 hz also possible with other sources.

What's your definition?

Mikek

---

Radios: here is the pix... philo [_2_] Home Repair 82 January 2nd 14 04:30 AM
lot of vintage mics- CB radios-car radios-wood/bakeliteradios-receivers-mics-transceivers-TUBES-estate sale clearance ANTIQUE AUDIO Electronics Repair 0 July 25th 08 02:11 PM
What happens to old FM radios? Per Stromgren Electronics Repair 29 September 1st 04 12:15 AM
OT Digital Radios John UK diy 48 January 23rd 04 09:25 AM
[ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios Charlie Bress Home Repair 9 September 5th 03 07:26 PM