Grandpa

Default Jacobs Chuck on Jet Mini Lathe

The piece you remove from the tailstock with the live center on it
should be a tapered piece (I'll call it a "morse taper" within the text
of this post so the purists don't beat me to death with the proper
termG). Sears (for example) sells a threaded morse taper that you can
install a Jacobs chuck on, then slide back into the tapered hole in your
Jet Mini tailstock. Take your old morse taper with you so you get the
right one, probably a #1 or #2 morse taper. I paid $12.99 for mine at
Sears & $4.99 for a Jacobs key chuck @ Harbor Freight.

Grandpa

AWood70928 wrote:

Hi folks. I just purchased a Jet Mini Lathe. I have a question that some of
you might find silly but what the heck. The instructions that came with the
lathe are not very clear. I would like to know if you can, and if so how, do
you attach a Jacobs Chuck or drill chuck to the tailstock of the lathe? I can
get the tail stock spindle out, and the center for the live center will pop
out, but after that I am lost completely.