Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Flooring

On 2/13/15 3:23 PM, Casper wrote:
I would worry about the seems when using plywood. The subfloor
would have to be very, very flat and true for me to even consider
it. You're talking four foot seems in both directions for every
"tile." The slightest bit of dip or rise four feet away is going to
mess up the seem and cause a lip.

Sounds like you are assuming 4ft x 8ft. I have no intention of
laying out full sheets. I would either cut down into planks or
squares.

I was assuming 4x4 like in the link you posted. If you're doing
planks... even more reason to go with engineered. The link also showed
cabinet grade plywood which is going to be pretty stiff. A 3-8" wide
board can rise and fall with dips in the floor and keep tight seems. A
4x4' stiff panel cannot.

One advantage of a laminated, engineered "plank" system is its
ability ride the rises and dips in the subfloor.

Wood floors can do that too if they are installed correctly. I have
seen parquet floors and regular hardwood done badly.

As for the finish... there's almost nothing you can do on your own
that will match the durability and thickness of the finishes they
can put on in the factory at a flooring manufacturer. I'm always
amazed at how durable that stuff is. -MIKE-

A factory can do both good and bad finishes. A friend had laminate
installed, professionally, and it is now buckling and peeling. I
told him it was not a good choice for his kitchen but he wouldn't
listen. His family makes too much of a watery mess for that
flooring.

Again, if it were in my budget, I would get the vinyl laminate I
have already picked out but locally there is nothing under
$5sq/ft+fees. Home Despot or Lowes has that stuff on a roll that I
don't want.

I'm not talking about the ****ty laminate that is a picture of wood
stuck to 3/8" of cardboard. I'm talking about engineered which is
essentially the same plywood you're thinking of using, but with
manageable widths that are T&G milled, with a very thick top ply and an
extremely durable finish applied at the factory.

Lumber liquidators has some very decent stuff for under $2.50sq.ft.
That would $80 per sheet of plywood. If can find good enough cabinet
grade plywood for that and put on a perfect and durable a finish like
they can at a factory for under that price, then more power to you.

With the engineered stuff, one person (you) could have your home done in
a few days.
Maybe less if you really kicked ass on it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--