Greg Kulibert

Default Boiling? and another note

One other thing to note about using a steel drum to boil.
If there is tannin in the wood the water and wood will turn black/dark brown
It's just like making the vinegar/iron mixture to ebonize wood
This dark layer is very very thin and turns off easily.

One other method I heard about at a demo was to soak the item in alcohol
(ethanol) overnight.
This was done on a turned item with minimal thickness. It was said to dry
the wood very quickly.
The demonstrator had a few examples. I believe that he attributed it to Dale
Nish but I can't even remember the demonstrators name more or less who he
said gave him the idea.

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
Greg, Thanks! Neat setup and one I can replicated this afternoon. I have an
unlimited supply of open top drums.

"Greg Kulibert" wrote in message
I just couldn't get larger red oak bowls (14-24")to dry without cracking
until I tried boiling.
I have a 55 gallon drum cut across the middle. one half sits with the

cover
down and makes a super container. The other sits with the cover up and

with
some of the sides removed makes a dandy stand. Put the bowls and water in
the top and light a fire with the trimmings in the stand. Weigh down the
bowls with bricks etc. boil for an hour or so and then leave overnight to
cool. Remove and let air dry and then bag and dry slowly.
Greg