Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Runners for Cross Cut Sled - Hardwood or Aluminum?

On 2/4/2015 6:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 09:55:56 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/3/2015 8:49 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 20:23:45 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/3/15 6:01 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 20:40:28 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/2/15 6:46 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 18:42:13 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/2/15 6:35 PM,
wrote:
I certainly wouldn't use (any)
metal runners on my cast saw table.

Why?

scratches = rust

Kinda defeats the purpose of coating the cast iron.

1. Isn't cast iron much harder than aluminum?

Than anodized aluminum? Aluminum is certainly harder than Boeshield.

So is wood. So is plastic. So is my fingernail.

I doubt you'll scrape off the Boeshield with your fingernail but I try
not to drag my fingernails across the top, too. Nah, wood and plastic
might push it around some but it's not going to plow through it.

2. How is one smoothly polished, soft metal going to scratch anything
let alone a much harder metal?

It does. My aluminum miter gauge certainly scratches the top.

I think you need to be a little more gentle. :-p

I guess I could put UHMW strips on the bottom but really, the miter
gauges do scratch the surface, in multiple places.

If yu are using Boeshield to protect your TS top you don't have near the
rust problem you might think you have.
Boeshield absolutely would did not offer enough protection for me when I
first used it 15 years ago. TopKote and its successor is the only thing
that works for me.

Rust *is* a problem. I used to have the saw in the garage when I
lived in Alabama. I now have a basement but it's still very humid. I
keep one of the magnetic covers on the saw, and a beach towel on top
of that.

I've been thinking of trying TopKote (or whatever it's called these
days) and even bought a can but it doesn't say anything about
preventing rust. Did they change the formula? I really don't like
Boeshield but I like rust a lot less.

Way back when, when Topcote was originally made by Empire, I bought it
to only slick up my TS Top, that is what it was made for. It was great
for that but after about 6 months I noticed that I was no longer having
an issue with rust.
You need to put on a lot the first time, a few coats and the more you
use it the better it protects. It is not guaranteed to prevent rust but
as a bonus it works better for me than any thing else I have tried.