Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Most dangerous tool in shop

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 9:07:00 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
On 2/2/2015 7:36 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Timdiana_James"
wrote in message
roups.com...
replying to Sweet Sawdust, Timdiana_James wrote:
sweetsawdust wrote:

What in your opinion is the most dangerous tool in your wood shop,
based on
the number and severity of injuries you have received, not on what
you have
heard from other people.

Fatigue. When I reach a certain point every tool in the shop is
dangerous. I try to make a hard and fast rule to never do any work after
I have had one beer or anytime I've been working long enough that I
start to make mistakes.

I have to watch myself more closely when I'm doing a repetitive task
whether cutting boards down to size, jointing, routing, if I have a
large number of the same operation I learned early on that strict
attention must always be observed.

It was a repetitive task that cause the table saw accident I mentioned earlier. I was cutting several small pieces of oak from a long 1" or so piece of square stock. I switched the saw off, started to walk away and realized there was still a piece on the table next to the blade. Over-reached the blade and "thunk-thunk..." It was still turning and my index finger got nicked - all the way to the bone.