Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default The Color of Poplar, Internal Tension and TS Splitters

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 5:40:26 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'm learning stuff...

As my kitchen upgrade continues, I had the pleasure of ripping about
100 linear feet of 1 x 6 Poplar this weekend. The pieces ranged in
length from a few that were over 60" to large number between 25" and
35".

I was using a 40 tooth GP blade, Freud D1040X. The ripping went very
smoothly and I got a pretty good edge on all boards, but I did run
into an interesting (at least to me) situation.

I learned that the darker the Poplar, the greater the internal
tension
and the more apt that the kerf was going to close around the
splitter.
In
some cases I wasn't able to rip more than halfway through the board
before it would bind up. Early on I was pulling the boards back out
(with
the saw off, of course) flipping them and coming in from the other
end
complete the rip.

I eventually got to the point where I was putting the darker boards
aside, ripping the "lighter" ones with the splitter installed, and
then (somewhat nervously) ripping the darker ones without the
splitter/guard. I don't know for sure that all of the darker ones
would have jammed around the splitter, but I can say for certain
that
none of the lighter ones did.

I've used a fair amount of poplar and have never encountered that
problem. I'm fixing to need another 150-200 board feet of it so hope I
never do

The only times I have ever had a kerf close up is when ripping white
wood 2x4s for this and that. I just stick a wedge in the kerf.

...Snip...

dadiOH

I mic'd the blade and the splitter. They both read 3/32" with a digital
micrometer that reads down to 1/64". It seems like it wouldn't take too
much movement to get things to bind up.

Is your ripping blade a full 1/8"?

No. Can't say what it is, but 3/32 sounds about right.

Maybe I should sand the paint off of the splitter. ;-)

I just don't use it

--

dadiOH