Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Runners for Cross Cut Sled - Hardwood or Aluminum?

On 2/2/2015 4:41 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 2/2/2015 2:09 PM, dpb wrote:
On 02/02/2015 2:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I vote against Al because it tends to gall/stick worse than steel.

Other than that I have no real strong opinion although I am partial hard
maple as the material of choice simply 'cuz it's easiest to sneak up on
the prefect fit...even the purchased steel runners are typically a
little sloppy...

UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) polymer bar stock works well.
http://www.ttrackusa.com/UHMW.htm

Has any one used the miter gauge runner for sled runner. I replace of
on my Miter gauge with a longer one and still have the old one. As I
remember it did not cost that much