Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Humility

On 1/31/2015 4:07 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:c-KdnZgJJLl0dVHJnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 1/31/2015 12:59 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

What it seems a good many people
haven't realized is that after a point formal education holds a person
back.

Hmmm, I've read that a few time and do not understand.. Could you give
an example?

It seems I didn't write it well enough to get my point across. I'll
rewrite it:

After a point, additional schooling just wastes a person's time.

For the type that work with their hands, it's sometimes better to get out
of the classroom and in to the shop where they can make mistakes and
actually engage in learning.

As in, experience is what you get by working and making mistakes because
you don't have the experienceg

Think "book smart."

It's like a lawyer after passing the bar exam. Long on the tools to do
the job but no experience doing the job.

The doctor who got his degree yesterday is NOT going to be my doctor.
Give him a year or two in residency - hopefully in a busy urban ER or in
his/her clinical specialty and you've got something.

I can't think of a profession or career where OJT doesn't make all the
difference in the finished product.

If you speak frankly (or rather if they will speak frankly with you)
most college professors will acknowledge that the college degree today
is not much more than the high school diploma of decades ago.

An extra two years of schooling in community college? Sure, why not.
Two additional years of child care. Local community college established
(via a very nice person) a fund that would cover ALL tuition for two
years at the local community college. The only criteria was graduation
from a local high school (Not GED or alternative day care g) with a, I
think, "C" average.

Nice huh? Help them out, get them working, get away from the sense of
entitlement?

You should have heard the bitching and moaning by a number of ingrates!
"Why the hell should I have to pay for my books and activity fees, etc.?"