Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Wood screw shank size

On 1/30/15 11:53 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/30/15 10:17 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 1/29/15 3:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:

Inexpensive (sheetrock-style) screws work OK for holding a glued
joint shut, and the glue prevents shifting, but that IS NOT always
what the designer wants.

You glue OR you screw. Not both. If someone is making furniture today
that they intend to become an antique generations from now, and they are
using screws, then it's not an antique I want to look at.

That seems a bit, well, elitist.

I Disagree. I've see plenty of antique furniture that uses both
glue and screws, dating back well over 100 years. High quality
furniture.

Scott, I think you read to fast. :-)
I'm not talking about things that are already antiques.
Today's glue is light years ahead of the stuff form a century ago.

True, yet I remember much gnashing of teeth about Norm's
use of brads as a method of clamping some glued joints
(often joints that would be difficult to clamp).

I've no problem augmenting glueblocks with screws when the
potential for racking forces exist, particularly around the
base skirt/feet on a chest of drawers or tallboy cabinet. Visible
screws would be tacky, but if they're not visible...

Norm used brads as temporary clamping until the glue dried. Apples/Oranges
Using screws to augment modern glue is completely unnecessary.
It's akin to strapping down a tool box you bolted to the bed of your
truck.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)