Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Wood screw shank size

On 1/29/15 3:58 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 6:27:39 PM UTC-8, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/28/15 5:57 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 01/28/2015 02:46 PM, John McCoy wrote:

On a standard wood screw, the shank should be the same diameter
as the major diameter of the threads. On your screws, it's the
same as the minor diameter of the threads. That's normal for
deck screws and drywall screws, but not for standard wood
screws.

I guess I don't understand what all the hubbub is about. Perhaps
the metal is stronger, thus the smaller diameter.

It's about the failure of the wood, not the metal. A smaller
diameter than the clearance hole means the shank of the screw takes
sideways loads on a small part of its area (and lbs/sq. in. stress
is higher). That will crush the adjacent wood fiber and prevent the
item from becoming a treasured, intact, antique... rather, it's
another old creaky chair/desk/gibbet.

Inexpensive (sheetrock-style) screws work OK for holding a glued
joint shut, and the glue prevents shifting, but that IS NOT always
what the designer wants.

You glue OR you screw. Not both. If someone is making furniture today
that they intend to become an antique generations from now, and they are
using screws, then it's not an antique I want to look at.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--