Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Wood screw shank size

On 1/28/15 5:57 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 01/28/2015 02:46 PM, John McCoy wrote:

They are cheap, low quality screws. Home Depot quality. That's
all that can be said for them.

Home Depot screws are worse; the heads aren't even round.

On a standard wood screw, the shank should be the same diameter as
the major diameter of the threads. On your screws, it's the same
as the minor diameter of the threads. That's normal for deck
screws and drywall screws, but not for standard wood screws.

I think you're on to something there; the threads are indeed bigger
than the shank, coming in at 0.180", still smaller than the shanks
are supposed to be. The minor diameter is correct, coming in at
0.130, so at least they got that right.

I can't be the first guy who has noticed this, but I'm guessing most
people just maybe don't care. Still, why don't they just sell the
proper size screws and raise the price fifty cents or whatever it
would have to be. *******s.

Jon

I guess I don't understand what all the hubbub is about.
Perhaps the metal is stronger, thus the smaller diameter.

I don't remember the last time I bought off-the-shelf Hillman type
fasteners. Technology has left them in the dust.

Specialty screws like Spax, GRK, HighPoint, Kreg, FastenMaster and
others have made standard zinc screws the floppy disks of fasteners.
The last package of cabinet screws I bought from GRK were about half the
thickness of a zinc screw of the same strength.

I used structural fasteners for my post/beam outbuilding this summer.
They were almost half the thickness of equivalent lag bolts or
galvanized bolts, but rated much higher in both sheer and tensile
strength.

For standard wood screws, I either buy from McFeely's website, my local
woodcraft, or the specialty shelves at Lowes or Home Depot.
Run-of-the-mill zinc screws are my absolute last choice and I always
feel like I'm being paid back for poor decisions in life whenever I'm
forced to use them. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)