Maxprop

Default Boiling?

"Ken Moon" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message

This weekend another turner was telling me about a seminar he attended.

The
instructor--sorry, I've forgotten his name--recommended accelerating the
process of drying a rough green-turned bowl by boiling it in water for
approx. 30 minutes. He claimed it reduced the drying time from 6-9

months
to more like a few weeks.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it valid?

================================
Max,
Check the Google archives under the rcw newsgroup. There has been MUCH
discussion about this in the past few years in the group. Steven Russel

has
done a lot of research on his production pieces, and according to him, it
works great. Apparently, the physics behind it has to do with expanding

the
the internal moisture to reduce internal pressures. Microwaving is

supposed
to do approximately the same thing. If you have time, also Google
microwaving and have fun reading.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Thanks, Ken, and all the others for your responses. As soon as I posted
that, I feared it probably had been discussed here in detail, so I did a
Google and found quite a bit about it. I finally have a use for that old
beer brewing pot.

Max