Posted to rec.woodworking
Max[_6_] Max[_6_] is offline

Default Router dust collection

On 1/28/2015 5:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sounds like a high quality fence might be in order.

"Max" wrote:

I have a Unifence.

It's a great fence. Sounds like you haven't got to the point where
you feel confident using it to it's best advantage.

When I first got my Unifence, it took a little time before it became
my "go to" tool to solve a task.

Now it is my first choice.

Might want to give it another whirl, especially for dados.

Lew

I also have the HDPE (?) fence addition. I don't remember where I got it
but it was bought on the advice of someone here.
I trust my fence and it's indicator; I very seldom need to "tweak" it to
get precise cuts. But using a dado blade (I have a Freud SD308) I'm not
sure how I would guesstimate the distance to move the fence to "dial-in"
a cut.
If I cut one side of the dado by making a 1/2" cut then move the fence
to enlarge the cut to 23/32 (the size of 3/4" plywood I've been getting)
I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

As for the slot in a frame for a panel I align the fence as nearly as
possible to the center of the frame piece, run it through then move the
fence just slightly to widen the cut to accommodate a 1/4" (nominal)
panel. (by reversing the direction of feed I'm taking a tiny bit from
each side of the "slot") (I hope that's decipherable.) ;-)