Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Wood screw shank size

On 01/28/2015 02:46 PM, John McCoy wrote:

They are cheap, low quality screws. Home Depot quality. That's
all that can be said for them.

Home Depot screws are worse; the heads aren't even round.

On a standard wood screw, the shank should be the same diameter
as the major diameter of the threads. On your screws, it's the
same as the minor diameter of the threads. That's normal for
deck screws and drywall screws, but not for standard wood screws.

I think you're on to something there; the threads are indeed bigger than
the shank, coming in at 0.180", still smaller than the shanks are
supposed to be.
The minor diameter is correct, coming in at 0.130, so at least they got
that right.

I can't be the first guy who has noticed this, but I'm guessing most
people just maybe don't care. Still, why don't they just sell the
proper size screws and raise the price fifty cents or whatever it would
have to be. *******s.

Jon