Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Wood screw shank size

Jon Danniken wrote in
:

I went to the local Ace store today and bought a box of wood screws,
size 10, Hillman brand. When I brought them home I decided to check
the shank size, and was surprised when they came in a little small,
about 0.150", instead of the 0.190 that I was expecting.

https://i.imgur.com/xlke7UK.jpg

Thinking I might be losing my mind, I measured an old wood screw that
I had laying around, which my mind told me was a #10, and it measured
0.190". I even called the local fastener store, and they confirmed
that 0.190" (or 3/16 as they put it) is the proper shank size for a
#10 wood screw.

So what's the deal now, did I end up with a mislabeled box of wood
screws, or did someone change the specs on these things while I wasn't
looking?

They are cheap, low quality screws. Home Depot quality. That's
all that can be said for them.

On a standard wood screw, the shank should be the same diameter
as the major diameter of the threads. On your screws, it's the
same as the minor diameter of the threads. That's normal for
deck screws and drywall screws, but not for standard wood screws.

John