Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default powder post beetle

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 7:15:42 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Sonny & others.
Can Timbor or something similar, be injected into the
exit holes with a syringe - with any success ?
Or do I definitely need to replace the infected floor pieces ?
I think I would only use Timbor in a widespread application -
if the infestation were to spread to structure .. or perhaps as
a preventative under & around the new floor pieces ?

Next question - perhaps I'll start a new thread ..
Tips & Tricks for removing & replacing the hardwood floor pieces ..
John T.

Exit holes imply EXIT. The larvae may have already emerged and flown away. If the dust is still being pushed out of the holes, then there are larvae still in the wood.

You don't have to spray inside the holes. You don't want to treat just the area with the holes. Treat your whole house and surrounding immediate buildings. Timbor is cheap, don't skimp on your preventative treatment. If any of the larvae/adults have emerged and flown away, they'll be back....

**If any of the larvae/adults have emerged and flown away, they'll be back.....
This is kind of a misnomer, in that, this is the wrong time of year for the larvae to be emerging, now. They emerged last spring. Your holes have been there since spring, at least. The adults would have returned in Sept Oct Nov and laid new eggs. You can't see the new holes, the new eggs were laid in, because the adult has covered up/sealed the holes, after they lay the eggs.

If you are having the larvae emerging at this time, I would suppose your indoor environment is a "faux spring" environment for them.

If dust is coming out of the holes, now, you need to inpect closely, to see the dust actually being push out, or you can sometimes hear the larvae making tiny "noises" as the eat and/or push the dust out. But the dust might be coming out because of vibration of the floor, as you walk on it, or bounce hard enough on the floor, to vibrate the dust out.

I'm aware of the gassing treatment. I've had upholstery pieces that was treated with gas. I don't know how or what gas to treat with. The pro exterminators do the gassing.

For Timbor treating, I would treat now, treat this coming mid summer and treat again mid fall. After that, twice a year treaments, unless your area is not so prevalent for PPB.

Powder post beetle is very prevalent, down here. I do vigorous preventative treatments to my shop and lumber caches, twice a year. I've never had a PPB problem. I do wear a mask and eye protection, when spraying.

Sonny