Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Drawer Bottoms 1/8" Hardboard + 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF?

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

On 1/12/2015 8:59 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:51:03 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I read a suggestion to use 1/8" Hardboard topped with 1/8"
Acrylic
Coated
MDF for kitchen drawer bottoms.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...9106/202090193

The theory is that the Acrylic Coated MDF looks good, is easy to
clean and wouldn't need to be covered with shelving paper,
etc.

Has anyone done this?

Yes. I have used it here and there in my shop, also in the house
as
tray bottoms (trays IN drawers).

If so, did you glue the panels together?

No, I just used the 1/8" tileboard. Why do you want a lamination
of
it
and hardboard?

The lamination would be to achieve a 1/4" thickness for the actual
drawer bottom, not for a drawer tray.

Yeah, I understood that. The thing is, why? Although 1/4 is a pretty
standard drawer bottom thickness, there is no rule requiring it. Some
drawers need a bottom that thick, some need thicker but for most
normally sized drawers 1/8 would be sufficient. (Unless you are going
store wrenches on them .

Easy to cut the grooves for it too if your table saw blade is 1/8 or
1/8
+ a RCH.

Food for thought here, these will be kitchen drawers, kitchen utensils
tend to be much like wrenches. ;~) I live in a relatively new
neighborhood, newest homes are 3 years old. One of the builders used
1/8" thick drawer bottoms and I have rebuild several of those drawers,
for neighbors, not mine, already. By comparison our builder used 1/4"
bottoms and we have had no issues yet. 1/4" plywood is much less
expensive than the time to rebuild a kitchen drawer bottom that may
fail.

You speak the truth. It really depends upon what is going in
them...sharp, pointy stuff could screw up the surface, towels and pot
holders should be safe.

Regardless of what was going in them I wouldn't glue up two sheets of
anything, too much work for me I might - possibly - consider using
1/4" mel board if I needed that sort of hardness.

--

dadiOH