Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Drawer Bottoms 1/8" Hardboard + 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF?

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 2:08:14 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I read a suggestion to use 1/8" Hardboard topped with 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF for kitchen drawer bottoms.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...rd-Panel-Board

Drawer bottoms (in my silverware drawer, for instance) take a lot of steady load.
I've seen a lot of MDF/hardboard/termitebarf movement in moisture/load situations,
and would be happier with 3/8" plywood, rabbeted at the edges
to fit a 1/4" groove.

For small drawers in dry locations, though, you could do well with melamine-surfaced
hardboard (like for shower stalls).