Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Drawer Bottoms 1/8" Hardboard + 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF?

On 1/12/2015 9:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 9:59:22 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:51:03 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I read a suggestion to use 1/8" Hardboard topped with 1/8" Acrylic
Coated
MDF for kitchen drawer bottoms.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...9106/202090193

The theory is that the Acrylic Coated MDF looks good, is easy to
clean
and wouldn't need to be covered with shelving paper, etc.

Has anyone done this?

Yes. I have used it here and there in my shop, also in the house as
tray bottoms (trays IN drawers).

If so, did you glue the panels together?

No, I just used the 1/8" tileboard. Why do you want a lamination of
it
and hardboard?

The lamination would be to achieve a 1/4" thickness for the actual
drawer
bottom, not for a drawer tray.

Yeah, I understood that. The thing is, why? Although 1/4 is a pretty
standard drawer bottom thickness, there is no rule requiring it. Some
drawers need a bottom that thick, some need thicker but for most normally
sized drawers 1/8 would be sufficient. (Unless you are going to store
wrenches on them .

I'll be making 5 kitchen drawers. At this time, some could probably get by with 1/8" (plastic wrap/bags in one, a knife holder tray in another, etc.) However, at least one needs 1/4". Picture 2 trays full of utensils, one on top of the other (don't ask!).

Who knows...they are kitchen drawers today, maybe they'll be workshop drawers (read: wrenches) in the future. For consistency and longevity, I'll be using 1/4" bottoms.

Easy to cut the grooves for it too if your table saw blade is 1/8

My dado blade will get lonely.

It should stay lonely if you use ply. I always use a standard 1/8" kerf
blade, I use a flat cut blade for flat bottoms but not necessary. Get
your bottom material first and make two passes on the TS to perfectly
cut/fit your drawer bottom groove to the material you are going to use
for the bottoms. If you use a dado it is very likely that it will cut
too wide for 1/4" ply.