Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Drawer Bottoms 1/8" Hardboard + 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF?

On 1/12/15 8:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 8:06:16 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/11/15 5:07 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/11/2015 4:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I read a suggestion to use 1/8" Hardboard topped with 1/8"
Acrylic Coated MDF for kitchen drawer bottoms.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...9106/202090193

The theory is that the Acrylic Coated MDF looks good, is easy to
clean and wouldn't need to be covered with shelving paper,
etc.

Has anyone done this? If so, did you glue the panels together?
If so, what type of glue works for hardboard and MDF?

If you glued the panels together they would be stronger. Past
that if the white panel scratches it might look worse after a
few years.

Plywood is always going to be stronger than hardboard. You might
consider 1/4" paint grade plywood and paint it the color of
choice with an enamel paint.

That's what I prefer. 1/8", even 3/16" feels cheap and sounds
cheap. 1/4" ply feels strong, doesn't deflect, and makes much less
noise when things are places on it.

--

-MIKE-

Just FYI...there was never a plan to use just 1/8". I was asking
about a lamination of 1/8" hardboard and 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF,
totaling 1/4".

Ok, gotcha. Still seems like more work.
It's pretty easy to apply a finish to 1/4 plywood or better yet, use the
pre-finished stuff. The finish they apply in the factory is very durable.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--