Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Drawer Bottoms 1/8" Hardboard + 1/8" Acrylic Coated MDF?

On 1/11/2015 10:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Leon wrote:

Plywood is always going to be stronger than hardboard. You might
consider 1/4" paint grade plywood and paint it the color of choice
with an enamel paint.

"-MIKE-" wrote:

That's what I prefer. 1/8", even 3/16" feels cheap and sounds
cheap.
1/4" ply feels strong, doesn't deflect, and makes much less noise
when
things are places on it.

I'm with you.

1/4", 5 ply Birch die board and 2-3 coats of shellac works for me for
drawer bottoms.
Forgot to include that the shellac is a 1 lb cut applied with a 2"
chip brush.

Lew

Damn Lew enjoy your chip brushes.
Certainly useable for epoxy glue ups.. not finishing.

--
Jeff