Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installing a ball bearing

On Fri, 29 May 2015 10:45:35 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

.4.170...
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
@dont-email.me:

On outside diameters that I can measure to 0.0001" the lathe can
shave
a few tenths with a freshly honed bit.

So, turn a "setting standard" that IS the couple of tenths smaller
than the
bearing, and use that to feel out your hole as you enlarge it a
half-thou
at a time (after boring to a nominal under-sized dimension).

Lloyd

My question really resolves to what that feel should be, if I can't
measure the ID to 0.0001" to match the interference fit from a table.
Your previous response suggests that a drop-in fit would be fine as
long as the axle shoulder and snap ring keep the wheel and bearing
together. Subsequent machining on the other side will be much easier
if I can remove the bearing and chuck within its recess rather than by
the rim.

Maybe while doing it I'll learn how to bore and measure accurately
enough for a future job where the bearing can't be allowed to slip.

-jsw

Got a magnetic base that you can put a dial indicator on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIGHTY-MAG-U...-/111425028749

Got a decent indicator?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Univ-Dial-In...-/371333036647

Put the indicator on the mag base, stick the whole thing on your lathe
compound and use it when you start getting within .100

Hell..you can even use a standard thousands dial indicator if you dont
need to go to tenths.

Its not..not rocket science guys.

I even do this on the HLV-H.

Gunner