Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installing a ball bearing

On Thu, 28 May 2015 19:50:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I'm making a set of wheels to roll a Harbor Freight electric hoist on
an overhead rail of 3" C channels. The wheels are nearly a copy of the
ones on the HF 1 ton Trolley which I turned down to fit into the
channel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-p...ley-97392.html

I need two trolleys to suspend a log from both ends when I move it in
or out of the storage shed, to avoid having to climb dangerously on
the pile to operate one manual lever hoist in the center.

Both the originals and mine use 6203 ball bearings, 40mm OD x 17mm ID
x 12mm thick. On the HF trolley they are a fairly light press fit on
the OD and slide loosely on the axle pin.

For something that won't be used much is there a problem if a bearing
fits loosely in the 40mm bore?

I forgot to say that you can firm up a race in a seat by tapping a
center punch several times (equidistant) around the seat ID. The
dimples will help hold the race but not be high enough to deform it.
I've done this on disc and drum brake hubs for decades, all without a
single failure or return.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.