Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installing a ball bearing

. 4.170...
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
news:mk89h1$mft
:

For something that won't be used much is there a problem if a
bearing
fits loosely in the 40mm bore?

Not TOO much of a problem, so long as you have a 'keeper' to prevent
it's
migrating out of its cavity. That, and so long as the speed is kept
low,
it won't damage the bearing to 'roll' on its outer periphery.

But (cough!) why would you be pounding on the INNER race to remove a
bearing? The access hole at the bottom of the cavity (through which
the
shaft will penetrate) can be only a few-thou smaller than the outer
race,
and it will be retained on that end just fine. Then you'd be able
to use
a proper outer race-sized drift to remove it, were the fit too snug.

Lloyd

The reason is because I'm copying the existing wheels closely in
hopefully better metal instead of re-engineering a heavily loaded
design I don't fully understand. The HF wheels have an 18mm center
hole that catches a snap ring on the 17mm axle. Presumably the solid
metal from 18mm out to 40mm stiffens the wheel rim against distortion.

I could drill three holes for push-out pins and use one wheel to hold
and guide them while pressing the bearing out of another.

-jsw