Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Ultrasonic cleaning of Brass- corrosion of stainless?

On Tue, 26 May 2015 12:44:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I have a recently made "stainless steel" kettle that pitted through
from heating tap water. I filled the hole with TIG and now the HAZ
around it is rusty.

-jsw

I've got an old commercial espresso machine and sometimes I take a
housing off (400-series stainless) and run it through the dishwasher-
the bulk of the stainless comes out gleaming but the spot welds are
developing rust. Something to do with (lack of) passivation..

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany