Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ultrasonic cleaning of Brass- corrosion of stainless?

A friend is cleaning brass prior to reloading in an ultrasonic cleaner
using an old formula-

1 qt H20
1 cup vinegar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp soap

Seems like a couple of the pans have corroded through on different
brands of unit- destroying the ultrasonic cleaner. The brass should
not be in contact with the pan (there's a stainless basket, or plastic
in the 3rd one he's trying).

Any reason why this would happen? There's not that much difference
between (presumably 400-series) stainless and brass on the
electrochemical series.

Thanks for any leads..

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/26/2015 06:33 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

A friend is cleaning brass prior to reloading in an ultrasonic cleaner
using an old formula-

1 qt H20
1 cup vinegar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp soap

Seems like a couple of the pans have corroded through on different
brands of unit- destroying the ultrasonic cleaner. The brass should
not be in contact with the pan (there's a stainless basket, or plastic
in the 3rd one he's trying).

Any reason why this would happen? There's not that much difference
between (presumably 400-series) stainless and brass on the
electrochemical series.

Thanks for any leads..

If the brass is touching the bottom of the tank, the tank will
erode. The brass is acting like a 20 KHZ jackhammer.

I used to build ultrasonic cleaners, the 1 KW+ type.
They do have a tendency to self destruct.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

A friend is cleaning brass prior to reloading in an ultrasonic cleaner
using an old formula-

1 qt H20
1 cup vinegar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp soap

Seems like a couple of the pans have corroded through on different
brands of unit- destroying the ultrasonic cleaner. The brass should
not be in contact with the pan (there's a stainless basket, or plastic
in the 3rd one he's trying).

Any reason why this would happen? There's not that much difference
between (presumably 400-series) stainless and brass on the
electrochemical series.

Thanks for any leads..

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The vinegar salt mixture is essentially poor man's hydrochloric acid.
It is chewing the heck out of the stainless.
It is probably also corroding the brass.

In any case, definitely get rid of the chlorine.
Try citric acid or sodium bisulfate.
But my real suggestion is to separate your brightening and cleaning
operations.
Use the acid to remove corrosion without the ultrasonic machine. Then clean
in the ultrasonic with a mildly basic cleaner to neutralize any acid
residue.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Microchip link for 2015 Masters in Phoenix:
http://tinyurl.com/l7g2k48

I have a recently made "stainless steel" kettle that pitted through
from heating tap water. I filled the hole with TIG and now the HAZ
around it is rusty.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 06:59:41 -0700, "Gary A. Gorgen"
wrote:

[...]

Got a RinoLiner in your friends area? Have em give it a quick coating
on the inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 12:44:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I have a recently made "stainless steel" kettle that pitted through
from heating tap water. I filled the hole with TIG and now the HAZ
around it is rusty.

-jsw

I've got an old commercial espresso machine and sometimes I take a
housing off (400-series stainless) and run it through the dishwasher-
the bulk of the stainless comes out gleaming but the spot welds are
developing rust. Something to do with (lack of) passivation..

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Amazon link for AoE 3rd Edition: http://tinyurl.com/ntrpwu8
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Get some cheap plastic bowls that will just fit in the cleaner tank, put the
brass and cleaning solution in the bowl, put the bowl in the tank, and fill
the tank with water to the full mark. Run for a month or two until you
decide the inside of that bowl is getting rough, toss it, and repeat. I
save 1-3 lb margarine tubs, coolwhip tubs, whatever (and have asked friends
to give me theirs on occasion), both to use as cereal bowls and to use in my
ultrasonic cleaner. Yes, you lose just a smidge of cleaning power but the
stainless steel tank will now last "forever" :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames aat deletethis verizon dott net

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I put about an inch of water in the ultrasonic tank. Anything to be
cleaned goes into a glass beaker with a solvent. Place the beaker in
the water in the ultrasonic machine. The only fluid that touches the
ultrasonic tank is water. Clean up one beaker and the job is done. I
don't have any large objects that need ultrasonic cleaning.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2015 09:33:56 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

A friend is cleaning brass prior to reloading in an ultrasonic cleaner
using an old formula-

1 qt H20
1 cup vinegar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp soap

Seems like a couple of the pans have corroded through on different
brands of unit- destroying the ultrasonic cleaner. The brass should
not be in contact with the pan (there's a stainless basket, or plastic
in the 3rd one he's trying).

Any reason why this would happen? There's not that much difference
between (presumably 400-series) stainless and brass on the
electrochemical series.

Thanks for any leads..

Perhaps the fired gunpowder/primer residue creates a more exotic
solution? But salt and vinegar in water are potent.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.