Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ultrasonic cleaning of Brass- corrosion of stainless?

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

A friend is cleaning brass prior to reloading in an ultrasonic
cleaner
using an old formula-

1 qt H20
1 cup vinegar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp soap

Seems like a couple of the pans have corroded through on different
brands of unit- destroying the ultrasonic cleaner. The brass should
not be in contact with the pan (there's a stainless basket, or
plastic
in the 3rd one he's trying).

Any reason why this would happen? There's not that much difference
between (presumably 400-series) stainless and brass on the
electrochemical series.

Thanks for any leads..

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I have a recently made "stainless steel" kettle that pitted through
from heating tap water. I filled the hole with TIG and now the HAZ
around it is rusty.

-jsw